Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Welcome to RSV Season....

It started today and as prepared as I thought I was, I wasn't prepared for what our pediatrician had to say about it yesterday.

Basically it's a look don't touch policy. No visitors but immediate family ONLY. NO family gatherings (we're going to have to recheck on that for the holidays). If you've been by someone who has a cold/flu in the last 7-10 days do NOT come over. There have already been 2 confirmed cases of RSV in STL.

While RSV is dangerous for ANY baby and toddler, it is important to note that it can KILL our premature babies who both have CLD (Chronic Lung Disease due to their premature birth).

So, what is RSV you ask? WEll, here goes (this information comes from Children's Hospital):

Respiratory Syncytial Virus:
-RSV is a virus that causes infection of the lungs and breathing passages. RSV is often mistaken for a cold but it can cause pnemonia and other serious lung problems.
-Symptoms of RSV include: coughing, sneezing, runny nose, congestion, sore throat, low fever, wheezing, and tiredness.
-RSV occurs most often in infants and children under 3. OTher children of higher risk for RSV include: premature babies or children that were born prematurely, children born in a multiple birth (twins, triplets, etc), children with chronic lung or heart conditions, and people with weakened immune symptoms. If your child falls into one of these categories, he/she may get a medicine called Synagis which CAN help prevent RSV. Yes, the girls qualify for these shots that are $1500 a piece in a series of 5 or 7, depending on how long RSV season ends up lasting.
-Your child may continue to cough, sneeze, and have a stuffy nose for a few weeks after going home. Your child may also get RSV more than once but the symptoms are usually not as bad as the first time.
-The best treatment for your child with RSV is rest and fluids. Antibiodics won't work against RSV since it is a virus.
- It is easily spread from person to person through coughs and sneezes, and can also be spread by touching someone with the virus. THe virus can LIVE for many hours on objects and surfaces such as toys, towels, blankets, tissues, doorknobs, and sinks. A person can get the virus just by touching an object that has germs on it.
-Your child may spit up after eating because they have more mucous production.
-RSV is most common in the fall, winter, and early spring.
-RSV is most contagious during the first 2-4 days of the infection, however, it can be spread up to 3 weeks after the start of symptoms.
-Handwashing is the most important way to protect the entire family from RSV and other infections.
-Keep your child away from people with a cold.
-If your child has RSV keep them away from other children.
-A smoke free environment is best for children, as it will make their coughing/breathing worse.
-Your child may need more rest than normal. YOu may need to feed them more often because they will tire easily during feedings. Your child may sleep more comfortably sitting up in his or her carseat.


SOunds like fun. Well, it's not and it's scary and I am SURE we are going to offend TONS of people because they cannot hold/touch/visit with our children like they can normal babies. It sucks, trust me.

BUT you know your DR means business when they give YOU, the parents flu shots and a tetnus shot with whooping cough prevention shots...yes, you heard right, I visited MY children's pediatrician and I received shots. How odd. Convenient though. ALL of our parents need to get flu shots as well, as will the girl's daycare provider. God I wish I could keep them out of daycare this winter, but we're just not that lucky. Just pray they don't get RSV. :(

Yesterday was a rough day...Matt traveled and was gone on business all day (well, after the pediatrician's appointment), so Matt's mom and then my mom came over the help feed the girls in shifts, since I cannot do both girls at once as they aren't far enough apart on their feedings that I can do it by myself. Needless to say I was TIRED at the end of the day, not that Matt wasn't after all his traveling, but the stress of pumping all the time and exhaustion got to me, so Matt was fabulous enough to let me sleep from 10-12 and then 1-4. It was heaven! I felt like a million bucks today!

Today our housekeeper came. God my house looks nice! She's so so sweet! WE ran out to lunch (no we didn't take the girls in, that's against the rules...we ate in the car), THEN we ran to Babies R Us...well, I went in, Matt stayed in the car with the babies.

This afternoon, little Miss Fussy Pants, also known as Sydney was awake from 5-8:30. CRAZINESS. As planned, I gave the girls their baths this evening before dinner time. WE're attempting to start a routine with them...bath, bottle, book, bed. WELL, everything but the book happened, right now that's replaced by the swing so that they are elevated after eating...and so that Mom and Dad could eat their dinner before Dad went off to sleep and mom had mommy duty and baby duty for the evening. :)

I hope all is well...tomorrow morning I"ll download and post our pictures from today...they are CUTE CUTE CUTE I tell you!

J


DISCLAIMER: Last night I posted this and we were having internet issues so I was unable to edit the post. I apoligize, I really am not illiterate. :) I have since fixed and edited my post!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment about our blog entries. We'd love to hear from you!