Thursday, September 11, 2008

How time flies...

As I listened this morning to the news of the ceremonies recognizing the anniversary of September 11th, I thought back on how much has changed in just 7 years. I still remember the morning of 9/11/01 and what I was doing. For some reason, the night before, I had left the radio in my car on KMOX instead of my usual FM station that ran the 1 hour taped delayed broadcast of Howard Stern. I probably wouldn't have known what was happening that morning had I not left it on an AM station. As I backed out of my driveway and listened to the news, I remember them mentioning that there were reports that an aircraft had hit the World Trade Center. I remember thinking, "Geez. Another idiot in his small private plane and when will these folks learn?" Obviously, later on, I learned it was not that at all. I can remember the stop I made at the 7-11 for a soda and a power bar. And I still remember how confused and lost everyone seemed when the news started breaking on what was really going on that day...
As I think about that day, it really doesn't seem all that long ago to me. However, in another way, my life is soooo very different since then. There have been some major events and changes in my personal life since then...

I met Jeni only a few weeks after 9/11.

We got married a year and a half later.

I sold the house I lived in then...

...moved into the house Jeni grew up in...

...and we bought the house we live in now...
We added another 4-legged member to our family with Sugar Raye.
Jeni and I have both lost grandparents.

I changed positions at Macy's twice since then...

...and lost my job there following a corporate reorganization...
...and got a new job at Save-a-lot.

Most importantly, I've become a father. Just typing that seems weird to me.

Obviously it was something that Jeni and I really REALLY wanted and we had to wait for longer than we had planned on.

As you can see from all of our blog entries, this pregnancy hasn't been an easy trip. Along the way, several times Jeni said to me "Why can't anything just be easy? Why can't we just have a normal pregnancy where everything goes o.k." Who knows why... but, as I told her then, just think of how much we'll appreciate everything when things sort themselves out. Things that are worth doing or having are rarely easily attained, or so I've seen. I still have to repeat that to myself sometimes... Especially a lot in the last few weeks when the frustration levels have really gotten high regarding the girls not being home yet.

So as I look back on 7 years since the day that changed so many peoples' lives, I think not so much of how much my life has changed, but of the experiences along the way through the changes. I guess if 7 years ago you'd tell me I'd be married by now, I wouldn't have been surprised. If you would have told me that I'd have 2 kids by now, again, I doubt I'd be surprised. But, no matter the ups and downs and the stress involved, even if I could, I don't think I would change much of how we've ended up where we are today. I guess that's just a part of life...


Anyway...
So today was supposed to be my first day alone with the girls at home. However, since they are still at the hospital, it was very similar to the last 2 months... I stopped by the hospital on the way home from work. Different today was that Jeni had already left to go home to get ready for the Kenny Chesney concert out at Whatever-they-are-calling-it-now Amphitheater/Pavillion. So I got 2 good hours of "Daddy-time" in with the girls. Sydney & Olivia both took bottles and did a pretty good job. Their eating habits have not been good since their shots yesterday so it was a good sign that they improved tonight. The nurse even declared that I "win the prize" as they both ate the most for me compared to everyone else who fed them today. I'm not really excited by that as I just wish they'd learn to eat well with everyone so they can COME HOME!

So after feeding both girls, I told them good night and headed home. Most of my evening was spent on the couch (that I never get to sit on anymore because someone else always claims it) watching TV and playing some video games... good mindless fun.

TGTIF (Thank Goodness Tomorrow Is Friday)!



Well, that's all for now. Here are some more shots of our little cuties!

Sydney Ann





Olivia Kay



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment about our blog entries. We'd love to hear from you!