Thursday, July 10, 2008

The Big Day

I awoke on Thursday July 10 to a phone call from Jeni. She was very upset and in pain. Overnight, she hadn't slept much due to worries about what would happen next as well as increasing contractions. Starting at around 5 AM the contractions had not only increased in frequency, but they had gotten a lot stronger and more painful.

I quickly hopped in the car and headed to the hospital. When I got into the room, Jeni was very concerned. She was worried that we had made the wrong decision in not transferring to the other hospital. I reassured her that we did what we thought was right at the time and things had obviously changed quickly with what was happening with her stage of labor.

One of her doctor's partners arrived in Jeni's room and we discussed with him what had changed overnight. He checked her monitors and decided to do an ultrasound to see if the babies had changed in their positioning. Up until now Baby A had been breech and Baby B had been head-down. A quick ultrasound confirmed that this had not changed.

We told the doctor that we agreed that we would be open to moving to the other hospital if he thought that it was the right thing to do. He then informed us that he thought Jeni was not a candidate to move because she was too far along in her labor at this point and that he would like to do a c-section some time in the next couple of hours! HOLY CRAP!

SO, the babies are coming! An immediate flooding of emotion came over Jeni and I of fear and excitement at the same time. Obviously we were worried about how early it was for the babies since she is only 30 weeks along. At the same time we were excited to meet these 2 little people who would double the size of our family immediately!'

The doctor headed out to prep his team. Jeni and I sat together and talked and then I headed out into the hallway to make some phone calls. Obviously the news came to quite a surprise to all of our parents. They made adjustments in their schedules and told me when they'd be coming up to see us. I went back to Jeni's room and waited with her.

The nurse came in shortly afterward and presented me with my "uniform" for the c-section.

I felt like I was preparing for a spacewalk...

Jeni and I waited together and then her mom arrived. We sat and talked until the team came to get Jeni to take her in to administer her 'spinal' and prep her for the c-section. They would come and get me about 10 minutes later.
To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment about our blog entries. We'd love to hear from you!